Creamed Greens with Chestnuts
Creamed kale, collards, and Swiss chard are studded with chestnuts.
Martha Stewart Living, November 2012
- Prep Time 40 minutes
- Total Time 40 minutes
- Serves 8
- 1 bunch kale, tough stems discarded and leaves roughly chopped (11 cups)
- 1 bunch collard greens, tough stems discarded and leaves roughly chopped (5 cups)
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, stems removed, chopped, and reserved and leaves roughly chopped (1 cup stems; 5 1/2 cups leaves)
- Coarse salt
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 large shallots, peeled, halved vertically, and thinly sliced crosswise (3/4 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (1 tablespoon)
- 5 ounces shelled chestnuts, roughly chopped (1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch of red-pepper flakes
- Wash all greens, and shake off excess (but not all) water. Heat a large saute pan over high heat, and add kale, collards, 1 teaspoon salt, and wine. Cover, and cook until greens wilt, about 2 minutes, turning occasionally. Reduce heat to medium, and cook, turning greens occasionally, until almost tender, about 15 minutes. Remove cover. Add chard leaves, and cook, turning with tongs, until wilted, about 3 minutes. Transfer greens to a bowl.
- Add 4 tablespoons butter to pan, and melt over high heat. Add shallots, garlic, and chard stems, and saute until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in chestnuts, and saute 1 minute. Return greens to pan, stirring to incorporate, and remove from heat.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add flour, and whisk to incorporate. Slowly whisk in milk and cream, and bring to a simmer. Simmer, whisking constantly, until sauce thickens slightly and begins to coat the back of a spoon, about 2 minutes. Add nutmeg and red-pepper flakes. Season with salt.
- Stir sauce into greens, and cook over medium heat until warmed through. If not serving immediately, let cool completely, then refrigerate. Reheat over low heat before serving.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.