Sorghum-Sweetened Chocolate Pecan Pie
Martha Stewart Living, November 2012
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 3 hours
- Yield Serves 8
- 1 disk Test-Kitchen Piecrust
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for surface
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons bourbon
- 1/2 cup sorghum (<a href="http://bourbonbarrelfoods.com" target="_blank">bourbonbarrelfoods.com</a>)
- 1 cup pecans (4 ounces), toasted and coarsely chopped
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate (preferably 61 percent cacao), finely chopped (1 cup)
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- Roll out dough into a 12-inch round (1/4 inch thick) on a lightly floured surface. Fit into a 9-inch pie plate. Trim edge, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang, and crimp as desired. Refrigerate crust until firm, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line crust with parchment, and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake until edge of crust is golden, about 20 minutes. Remove weights and parchment, and bake until crust is golden brown and baked throughout, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Stir in eggs to combine, then stir in bourbon, sorghum, pecans, and chocolate. Melt butter, and pour over mixture; stir until thoroughly combined. Pour filling into crust, and bake until top is set but center is slightly gooey, about 35 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack, about 1 1/2 hours.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.