Everyday Food, October 2012
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- All-purpose flour, for work surface
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Combine Parmesan and paprika. On a floured surface, roll out puff pastry 1/8 inch thick and lightly brush with cream. Sprinkle Parmesan-paprika on one-third of the pastry, then sprinkle poppy seeds over another third (leave remaining third plain). With cookie cutters, cut out cat and bat shapes (or cut into 1 1/2-inch squares).
- Transfer to a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet, then cover with more parchment and another baking sheet (this will keep pastry from puffing). Bake until golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove top sheet and parchment and let crackers cool completely on sheet on a wire rack.
Cookie cutters in spine-tingling shapes are the key to taking homemade crackers from basic to "Boo!" To create these shapes, we used the Fox Run Mini Halloween Cookie Cutter Set ($7, amazon.com).
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.