- 1 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom or 1 1/4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract, divided
- 2 cups grated parsnip (from 1 large peeled parsnip)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together flour, cardamom, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl, whisk together brown sugar, eggs, oil, 2 teaspoons vanilla, and parsnip. Stir in flour mixture.
- Line 12 standard muffin cups with paper liners. Divide batter among cups. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a cake comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, with a mixer, beat cream cheese, butter, confectioners' sugar, and remaining teaspoon vanilla until combined. Spread frosting onto cooled cupcakes.
To store, refrigerate cupcakes in an airtight container, up to 2 days.