Wild Rice with Balsamic Mushrooms
Photography: William Brinson
Martha Stewart Living, October 2012
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour
- Serves 6
Yield Makes 4 cups
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup wild rice, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound mixed fresh mushrooms (such as oyster, cremini, and shiitake), sliced
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions, plus more for garnish
- 4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Bring broth to a boil in a small pot. Add rice, and reduce to a simmer. Cover, and cook until rice is just tender and almost all the liquid has been absorbed, about 40 minutes. Remove from heat. Let sit, covered, 10 minutes. Drain any excess cooking liquid if necessary. Fluff rice with a fork.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, and cook 3 minutes (do not stir). Season with 3/4 teaspoon salt, and stir. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are tender and caramelized, 5 to 7 minutes. Reduce heat to low, and add butter and scallions. Cook until scallions are softened, about 1 minute. Turn off heat, and stir in vinegar.
- Transfer rice to a serving bowl. Stir in mushrooms, and season with salt and pepper.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.