DIY Instant Oatmeal
By toasting and grinding rolled oats in advance, you can make your own instant oatmeal, cutting your morning cooking time and allowing you to create novel flavors.
Photography: Kate Mathis
Martha Stewart Living, October 2012
- 4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 cup light-brown sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread oats on a rimmed baking sheet; bake until lightly toasted but not browned, about 15 minutes. Let cool. Pulse in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Mix in 1 cup of a combination of add-ins (see our suggestions below), and stir in sugar, salt, and cinnamon, or more to taste, before storing in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- To Serve, stir in boiling water until desired consistency is reached. Let stand 2 to 3 minutes.
Toasted almonds +
Dried apricots +
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.