- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 medium pears, such as Anjou or Bartlett, quartered and cored
- 1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high. Add pears, one cut side down, and cook until browned, then reduce heat to medium and cook 3 minutes. Turn pears to other cut side and cook 4 minutes. Add sugar and 1 tablespoon water, swirling pan to combine. Turn pears skin side down and cook until sauce is thickened slightly, 2 minutes. Stir in vanilla and pinch of salt. Serve warm with ice cream.
Pick a Pear
Anjou and Bartlett are the best choices for this dish -- they're sweet and juicy and hold their shape when cooked.