Brown Rice with Peas and Cilantro
This easy side is particularly great with roast pork or chicken curry.
Photography: Andrew Purcell
Everyday Food, September 2012
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon whole fennel seed
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium. Add fennel seed and onion; saute until soft, about 4 minutes. Stir in brown rice and cook 1 minute. Add 1 3/4 cups water and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, until water is absorbed, about 12 minutes. Stir in peas and cilantro, then season with salt and pepper.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.