Everyday Food, September 2012
- 1/2 small red onion
- 3 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 bunch Tuscan kale
- 1 pint halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 English cucumber, cut into half-moons
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Thinly slice red onion and toss with vinegar; set aside. In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add barley. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until barley is tender and water is absorbed, 10 to 12 minutes. Thinly slice kale leaves and add to a large bowl along with cooked barley, red onion mixture, tomatoes, cucumber, and bell pepper. Toss with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
sauteed tofu, lemon pork, Italian sausage
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.