Summer Beef-and-Rice Casserole
Everyday Food, September 2012
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Serves 4
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan (1 ounce)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- <u>5 cups reserved <u>Quick Meat Sauce</u> (from <u>Gnocchi with Quick Meat Sauce</u>)</u></u>
- 1/2 cup long-grain white rice
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 zucchini or summer squash, very thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Combine breadcrumbs, Parmesan, and 1 tablespoon oil. In a large cast-iron skillet, bring meat sauce to a rapid simmer over high. Stir in rice and remove from heat. Top with onion, then carefully arrange zucchini in a single, slightly overlapping layer. Season with salt and pepper, drizzle with remaining tablespoon oil, and top with breadcrumb mixture. Return to heat and bring to a simmer. Cover with foil and bake 10 minutes. Remove foil and bake until rice is cooked through and breadcrumbs are golden, about 10 minutes more. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.