Roast Chicken with Broiled-Vegetable-and-Bread Salad
Food editor Anna Kovel first tasted -- and was inspired by -- chicken with bread salad at San Francisco's Zuni Cafe.
Martha Stewart Living, September 2012
- Prep Time 35 minutes
- Total Time 2 hours
- Serves 4
- 1 whole chicken (3 1/4 to 3 1/2 pounds)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and chopped
- 4 slices (2 inches thick) rustic Italian bread (about 1/2 loaf)
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 2 small eggplants or 4 Japanese eggplants (1 1/2 pounds), sliced into 1 1/2-inch wedges
- 2 red bell peppers, quartered lengthwise and seeded
- 3 large Swiss chard leaves, stemmed and torn into bite-size pieces (3 cups)
- Sprinkle chicken with 1 tablespoon salt, and season with pepper. Stuff thyme under skin of breast and thighs and in cavity. Let chicken stand at least 1 hour (or refrigerate up to 24 hours, and bring to room temperature) before roasting.
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Place a baking dish or ovenproof skillet just large enough to fit chicken in oven 5 minutes. Pat chicken dry, then place breast side up in hot baking dish. Roast, rotating dish and basting once, until skin is golden and chicken is 160 degrees in the thickest part of thigh, 40 to 45 minutes. Let rest at least 15 minutes, then carve.
- Skim fat from juices in baking dish. Pour remaining juices (about 2 tablespoons) into a measuring cup; add oil to come to 1/4 cup. Whisk in lemon juice and vinegar. Add capers and 1 teaspoon salt; season with pepper.
- Preheat broiler. Drizzle bread slices with oil. Toast until browned on both sides. While warm, rub with cut sides of garlic. Tear into bite-size pieces, and place in a bowl. Drizzle eggplant and peppers with oil, season with salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Spread onto 2 rimmed baking sheets; broil about 8 inches from heat source until browned and tender, 10 to 12 minutes, flipping halfway through. Cut into bite-size pieces, and add to bowl. Add Swiss chard, toss all together, pour on three-quarters of the dressing, and toss again. Transfer to a platter, and top with chicken. Serve remaining dressing on the side.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.