Provencal Vegetable Tian
Martha Stewart Living, September 2012
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour 25 minutes
- Serves 8
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cups thinly sliced leeks, white and pale-green parts only, rinsed well (1 large leek)
- 1 Yukon Gold potato (8 ounces), sliced 1/4 inch thick
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 small eggplant (12 ounces), trimmed and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 large zucchini (8 ounces), sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3 large beefsteak tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives, pitted and roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, divided, plus more for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Drizzle 1 tablespoon oil in a shallow 2-quart baking dish. Layer half the leeks in dish, then cover with half the potato; season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and a pinch of pepper. Top with a layer each of half the eggplant, half the zucchini, and half the tomatoes; season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and a pinch of pepper. Scatter with half the olives and half the thyme. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil. Repeat layering and seasoning with remaining vegetables. Drizzle with remaining oil, and cover loosely with foil.
- Bake 20 minutes, then remove foil. Press vegetables down with a spatula, and bake until potato is tender and edges are well caramelized, about 45 minutes more. Let cool 10 minutes before slicing.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.