Braided Octopus Doll Craft
Braid colorful strips of fabric to make a bright detail for a dress, or strands of cotton yarn for a cuddly creature's legs -- all eight of them. These projects are simple enough that kids can help.
- Gather supplies: A skein of yarn, scissors, and a 2-inch Styrofoam ball.
- Untwist skein of yarn; use 1 strand to cinch its center. Place on a 2-inch Styrofoam ball.
- Spread the yarn over the ball. Tie another strand beneath the ball. Cut through bottom loops of yarn, creating a tassel.
- Divide strands into 8 sections; braid each, and tie ends. Trim legs to even. With black thread, sew eyes on the head by stitching over 3 or 4 pieces of yarn.
- Organic cotton yarn: Pakucho Sport, from Purl Soho
- 2-inch Styrofoam ball
- Needle and black thread
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.