- 2/3 cup plain low-fat yogurt (not Greek)
- 2/3 cup low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon honey, divided
- 2/3 cup fresh orange juice (from 2 oranges)
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples
- 4 1/2 ounces natural skin-on almonds, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 cups finely chopped plums, strawberries, and pears
- 8 ounces mixed sliced fruit, such as oranges, strawberries, plums, raspberries, and blackberries, for garnish
- Whisk together yogurt, milk, vanilla, and salt until smooth. Stir in oats. Cover, and refrigerate at least 3 hours and up to overnight.
- Stir together 1/4 cup honey and the orange juice in a medium bowl. Peel apples, and grate 1 1/2 cups on large holes of a box grater. Stir apples and almonds into juice mixture. Stir apple mixture into soaked oats until well combined, and gently mix in chopped fruit. Refrigerate 30 minutes, then divide among 8 bowls. Divide sliced fruit among bowls, and drizzle with honey.
Instead of treating fruit as a cereal topping, cut calories by using more fruit than grain. The same holds true for vegetables with pasta.