Vanilla Ice Cream
This recipe goes with the Baked Alaska Bombe.
Martha Stewart Living, August 2012
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour 40 minutes
Yield Makes 5 1/2 cups, enough for a 7-cup bombe mold
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 vanilla beans, split and scraped
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 9 large egg yolks
- Combine milk, cream, vanilla, and 1/2 cup sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring mixture to a simmer, stirring. Whisk together egg yolks and remaining 1/2 cup sugar. Gradually whisk hot milk mixture into egg mixture.
- Pour mixture into pan, and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 4 minutes. Pour custard through a fine sieve into a bowl that has been set in a larger bowl of ice water. Let cool 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Refrigerate custard until cold, about 1 hour.
- Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions, then transfer directly to bombe mold.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.