Hazelnut-Raspberry Jelly Roll
Martha Stewart Living, August 2012
- Prep Time 25 minutes
- Total Time 3 hours
- Yield Makes one 10-inch roll
For the Cake
- Vegetable-oil cooking spray
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon cake flour (not self-rising), plus more for pan
- 1/3 cup skinned whole hazelnuts, deeply toasted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs plus 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted but not very hot
- 3 to 4 tablespoons confectioners' sugar for dusting, plus more for towel
For the Filling
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons high-quality raspberry preserves or jam, such as Bonne Maman (one 13-ounce jar)
- 1 cup very cold heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons hazelnut liqueur, such as Frangelico
- Make the cake: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat an 11 1/2-by-17-inch rimmed baking sheet (1/2 inch deep) with cooking spray, and line with parchment. Coat parchment with spray, and dust with flour, tapping out excess. Bring a pot of water to a simmer. Meanwhile, pulse hazelnuts, flour, and salt in a food processor until nuts are finely chopped, about 1 minute. Sift flour mixture, discarding any pieces of nuts in sieve.
- Whisk together eggs, yolks, and granulated sugar in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water, until sugar dissolves and mixture is warm, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Beat with a mixer on medium speed 2 minutes. Raise speed to high, and beat until pale and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle flour mixture on egg mixture in 3 additions, folding with a rubber spatula and drizzling in butter toward end of last addition. Spread batter in pan, and bake until top is golden, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Loosen cake from pan with a paring knife. Dust a clean kitchen towel with confectioners' sugar, and invert cake onto towel. Peel off parchment. Starting from a short side, tightly roll up cake in towel. Let cool completely, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Make the filling: Unroll cake, and spread with jam, leaving a 1/4-inch border on all sides. Beat cream with liqueur until medium peaks form. Spread cream over jam, leaving a 1-inch border on all sides. Starting from a short side, roll up cake as tightly as possible. Place cake, seam side down, on a baking sheet or in a platter. Refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours. Dust with confectioners' sugar, slice, and serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.