Fresh Beans and Artichokes
Martha Stewart Living, August 2012
- Prep Time 1 hour 25 minutes
- Total Time 2 hours 5 minutes
- Serves 12
- 3 lemons, halved
- 10 globe artichokes
- Coarse salt
- 1 cup <u>Vinaigrette</u> (lemon variation), divided
- 6 cups mixed fresh beans, such as green, romano, and wax (1 1/2 pounds), trimmed
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, plus more for garnish
- Squeeze juice of 1 lemon into a bowl of cold water; add rinds. Working with 1 artichoke at a time, snap off dark outer leaves to expose yellow leaves with green tips. Cut off dark-green top of artichoke with a serrated knife until only the pale part remains. Trim dark-green parts from base and stem with a paring knife. Scrape out purple leaves and fuzzy choke with a spoon. Rub artichoke with lemon, and add to lemon water.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 2 teaspoons salt and the artichokes. Return to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook until artichokes are tender when pierced with a knife, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove artichokes; let cool. Cut into 1/2-inch slices.
- Transfer artichokes to a bowl. Add 1/2 cup vinaigrette. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour or refrigerate up to 1 week.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 1 tablespoon salt and half the beans. Boil until beans are tender and color is bright, about 5 minutes. Transfer beans to a colander with a slotted spoon; run under cold water. Repeat with remaining beans.
- Just before serving, toss beans with 1/4 cup vinaigrette and the parsley. Arrange on a platter. Surround with artichokes; garnish with parsley.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.