Charred Peppers with Sliced Tomatoes
Martha Stewart Living, August 2012
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 20 minutes
- Serves 12
- 9 Hungarian wax peppers, halved, cored, seeded, and cut into 2-inch strips (3 cups)
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Coarse salt
- 3 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 cup small fresh basil leaves or torn large basil leaves, divided
- 6 tomatoes (3 pounds), sliced 1/2 inch thick
- Fleur de sel, for serving
- Preheat broiler. Heat a large skillet (preferably cast iron) over high heat until smoking. Drizzle peppers with oil; season with coarse salt. In batches, add peppers to pan and sear 3 minutes (do not stir). Stir, sear 3 minutes more, then transfer to a rimmed baking sheet.
- Broil peppers, 7 to 8 inches from heat source, until charred and softened, about 5 minutes. Toss with vinegar and half the basil.
- Arrange peppers on a platter; surround with tomatoes. Sprinkle tomatoes with coarse salt, drizzle with oil, then scatter remaining basil over platter. Just before serving, sprinkle with fleur de sel.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.