- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Place egg yolks in a food processor. (To avoid using raw eggs, substitute yolks from pasteurized eggs.)
- Add mustard, garlic, and lemon juice. Pulse ingredients until well combined.
- With motor running, add oil in a slow, steady stream (mixture should become thick and emulsified). Season with salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container, up to 1 week.
If the mayonnaise separates after the oil is added, the mixture has broken. To bring it to a creamy state, add an egg yolk and 1 teaspoon tepid water to a clean bowl, and slowly add the broken mayonnaise while whisking constantly. Then, whisk in 1/4 cup more oil.