- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup baby spinach (1 ounce)
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for grilling
- Coarse salt and pepper
- 1 pound ground white-meat chicken
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 4 pieces focaccia, halved
- In a food processor, puree basil, spinach, garlic, walnuts, oil, and 1 tablespoon water. Season pesto with salt and pepper.
- Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high. Combine 1 tablespoon pesto, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and chicken and form into 4 patties. Clean and lightly oil hot grill. Brush tomatoes with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill patties, covered, 4 minutes. Flip patties and top with cheese. Add tomatoes to grill and cook, flipping once, until tomatoes are lightly charred and burgers are opaque throughout, 4 minutes.
- Assemble sandwiches in focaccia with pesto, burgers, and tomatoes.
This homemade spinach-and-basil pesto is also great on pizza, tossed with pasta, or in scrambled eggs.