Martha Stewart Living, July 2012
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 24 hours
- Yield Makes 4 quarts
- 4 1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup coarse salt
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 7 red Thai chiles, 3 of them split open
- 8 large ears corn, shucked
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- Bring vinegar, 6 cups water, sugar, salt, and bay leaf to a boil, stirring to make sure sugar dissolves. Stir in chiles, and let cool until warm, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut corn crosswise with a heavy chef's knife into pieces about 1 1/2 inches long (you should get 4 or 5 pieces from each ear). Layer corn and onion in a very clean 4-quart glass jar with a clamped top or a lid and screw-top band. Pour warm vinegar mixture over corn and onion to cover completely (discard any leftover liquid). Leaving jar open, refrigerate until liquid is cool, about 1 1/2 hours, then shut jar. Refrigerate corn at least 1 day and up to 2 days. Serve cold.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.