Not only are these s'mores patriotic, they are customizable. We like having a mix of chocolate bars on hand so guests have a choice. In addition to Norway's Freia milk chocolate, you could also try Ghirardelli dark chocolate with caramel, Ritter Sport praline, and Perugina cappuccino.
Martha Stewart Living, July 2012
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield Makes 16
For the Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for surface
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
For the S'mores
- 8 ounces chocolate, broken into small pieces
- 16 clean twigs or wooden skewers (preferably soaked in water 30 minutes)
- 32 marshmallows
- Make the cookies: Whisk together flours, wheat germ, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- Beat together butter, sugar, and honey with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture; beat until combined.
- Turn out dough onto a floured surface, and divide in half. Roll out each dough half to 1/8-inch thickness, and refrigerate until firm, about 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut out squares with a 3-inch fluted square cutter. Cut a star out of the center of half the cookies using a 1 1/2-inch star cutter. Reroll scraps once, and repeat.
- Place squares 1 inch apart on parchment-lined baking sheets, keeping cookies with cutouts together. Refrigerate until very firm, about 15 minutes.
- Bake cookies until dark brown, 14 to 16 minutes, rotating halfway through (star cookies take about 1 minute less). Let cool on sheets 10 minutes. Cookies can be stored in an airtight container up to 2 days.
- Assemble the s'mores: Preheat grill on high (if using a charcoal grill, coals are ready when you can hold your hand 5 inches above grill for just 2 seconds) or build a campfire. Divide chocolate among cookies without cutouts. Skewer marshmallows; toast over grill or fire, rotating, until gooey in center and nicely charred, about 2 minutes. Remove marshmallows from skewers; place 2 on each chocolate-topped cookie. Sandwich each with a cutout star cookie; press gently. Let sit 2 minutes to melt chocolate.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.