Everyday Food, June 2012
- 2 cans (15.5 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 3/4 cups cooked long-grain white rice
- 1/3 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil, divided
- 8 hamburger buns
- Toppings, such as mayonnaise, mustard, lettuce, avocado, tomato, cheese, and cucumber (optional)
- In a large bowl, mash beans until a coarse paste forms. Add rice, breadcrumbs, scallions, cilantro, eggs, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; gently fold to combine. Form into eight 3/4-inch patties.
- In a large skillet, heat half the oil over medium-high; add half the patties and cook until browned and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a wire rack and tent with foil. Repeat with remaining oil and patties. Serve burgers on buns with desired toppings.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.