- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces, plus more for pan
- 1/3 cup cornstarch (spooned and leveled)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup chopped toasted pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter an 8-inch square baking pan and line with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on all sides. Whisk together cornstarch, cocoa, cinnamon, and salt. In a large microwave-safe bowl, microwave butter and chocolate in 30-second increments, stirring each time, until melted and smooth, about 2 minutes. Stir in sugar and vanilla. Stir in eggs, one at a time, until combined. Add cornstarch mixture and stir vigorously until mixture is smooth and begins to pull away from side of bowl, about 2 minutes. Stir in pecans.
- Pour batter into pan and smooth top. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, about 35 minutes, rotating pan halfway through. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Using paper overhang, lift cake out of pan and cut into 16 squares.
Here's the Scoop
Cornstarch helps give these brownies structure, just as the gluten in flour would. Spoon and level it in a measuring cup.