French Cheese Straws
To save time, buy good-quality store-bought puff pastry to make these easy, elegant party appetizers.
The Martha Stewart Show, May 2012
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 cup finely grated Gruyere cheese
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 pound store-bought puff pastry
- 1 to 2 tablespoons poppy seeds (optional)
- Line two baking sheets with nonstick baking mats; set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together both cheeses and cayenne pepper, if using. Sprinkle cheese mixture on work surface; top with puff pastry and roll out to a 10-by-13-inch rectangle, pressing dough into cheese to adhere. Sprinkle top of dough with poppy seeds, if desired; press gently with a rolling pin to adhere.
- Using a pastry cutter, trim sides to form a 9-by-12-inch rectangle. Cut puff pastry into 3/4-inch-thick strips. Grab each end of a dough strip with your fingers and carefully stretch and twist strip in opposite directions; arrange 1 1/2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Transfer to refrigerator to chill, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Transfer baking sheets to oven and bake until golden and puffed, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.