- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 8 slices white bread
- 1 to 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Confectioners' sugar
- Toss strawberries with 3 tablespoons granulated sugar. Whisk together eggs, remaining 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, milk, and vanilla. Spread peanut butter on 4 slices bread and top with remaining slices.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high. Dip both sides of sandwiches in egg mixture and add to skillet (if necessary, work in batches, adding more butter and reducing heat to medium after first batch). Cook until undersides are golden, 2 minutes, then flip and cook 2 minutes. To serve, dust sandwiches with confectioners' sugar and top with strawberries.
Small Jobs for Little Hands
- You slice the strawberries; they mix in the sugar.
- Teach kids how to crack eggs, then watch them whisk in the sugar, milk, and vanilla.
- A butter knife is safe for young chefs and great for spreading peanut butter.