Like pesto, it's a flavor booster par excellence. Try with: vegetable soup, tomato salads, mozzarella.
Martha Stewart Living, June 2012
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 20 minutes
- Yield Makes 1/2 cup
- 1 large garlic clove
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups packed basil leaves
- 1/3 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese (3/4 ounce), divided
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for storing
- Chop garlic, and add 1/4 teaspoon salt. Mash into a paste with a mortar and pestle.
- Tear basil; gradually add to mortar with half the cheese. Pound to a coarse paste; add more leaves once there's room.
- Stir in the remaining cheese and the oil. Season with salt and pepper.
To store, pour oil on top to cover, and refrigerate, covered, up to 1 week.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.