- 2 garlic cloves
- Coarse salt
- 2 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 3/4 cups extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Chop garlic, and add a pinch of salt. Mash into a paste with a knife's flat side or a mortar and pestle.
- Whisk egg yolks with 1/2 teaspoon salt in a bowl. Slowly add lemon juice and water, and whisk until thoroughly blended.
- Add about 1/4 cup oil, drop by drop, whisking until emulsified.
- Gently whisk in remaining oil in a steady trickle. Stir in garlic.
To store, refrigerate, covered, up to 2 days. If aioli separates, whisk 1 egg yolk with 1 tablespoon tepid water in a bowl. Gradually whisk in aioli until combined. Whisk in 1/4 cup oil.)