Springtime Morel and Fava Bean Crostini
Impress your dinner guests with this elegant, simple mushroom appetizer from chef Larry Forgione of An American Place restaurant.
The Martha Stewart Show, April 2012
- 4 slices baguette
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup fresh morels, cleaned
- 1 teaspoon minced shallot
- 2 tablespoons cream sherry
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup shelled, peeled fava beans
- 1/8 cup thinly sliced ramp leaves or chives
- 1 slice cooked bacon, crumbled
- Shaved <a href="http://www.vellacheese.com/pages/cheeses.html#dry" target="blank">aged Sonoma Jack</a> or Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Brush both sides of baguette slices with olive oil and place on a baking sheet. Transfer to oven and bake, turning once, until lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Melt butter in a medium skillet over high heat; cook until butter is lightly browned. Add morels and shallot and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add sherry to deglaze and cook until almost evaporated. Add cream and let cook until reduced and thickened slightly. Stir in fava beans and ramp leaves or chives.
- Divide morel mixture evenly among toasted baguette slices; top with crumbled bacon and garnish with cheese. Serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.