Rhubarb Ice Cream with Honey-Scented Strawberries and Whipped Cream
Make your own ice cream bursting with the sweet flavors of spring with this recipe from Bi-Rite Creamery co-owner Anne Walker.
The Martha Stewart Show, Episode 7132
- Yield Makes 1 quart ice cream; serves 4 to 6
- 4 cups chopped rhubarb
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 3/4 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- Honey-Scented Strawberries
- Whipped Cream
- Place rhubarb, sugar, 2 tablespoons water, and lemon juice in a large saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat until rhubarb is very soft and most of the liquid has evaporated. Transfer to the jar of a blender and carefully blend until smooth. Transfer rhubarb puree to refrigerator until chilled.
- In a medium heatproof bowl, whisk eggs just to combine; set aside.
- In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, mix together cream, milk, honey, and salt. Place over medium-high heat and cook until mixture barely begins to simmer; reduce heat to medium.
- Slowly whisk in 1/2 cup cream mixture into eggs. Repeat process with another 1/2 cup cream. Slowly stir egg mixture into saucepan with cream using a heatproof spatula. Cook, stirring constantly until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Strain custard through a fine-mesh strainer into a bowl set in an ice-water bath. Using a clean spatula, stir custard occasionally until cooled. Cover and transfer to refrigerator until chilled, at least 2 hours and up to overnight.
- Whisk 1 1/2 cups rhubarb puree into chilled custard. Transfer custard to an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. Meanwhile, place a 1 quart container in the freezer and freeze until ice cream is ready. Transfer ice cream to chilled container and stir in remaining 1/2 cup rhubarb puree. Serve ice cream immediately with honey-scented strawberries and whipped cream or for firmer ice cream, transfer to freezer for at least 4 hours and up to 3 days.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.