Pulled Chicken with Apple-Cucumber Slaw
While you enjoy these sandwiches, what's left of your chicken simmers in water, creating stock to use later.
Everyday Food, May 2012
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 20 minutes plus making stock
- Serves 4
- 1 rotisserie chicken (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cut into matchsticks
- 2 English cucumbers, cut into matchsticks
- 2 scallions (green parts only), thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 hamburger buns
- Shred chicken, discarding skin and reserving bones. In a medium pot, bring chicken bones and 9 cups water to a boil over high. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, 1 1/2 hours. Strain stock through a fine-mesh sieve into a heatproof container; let cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate for use in Baked Polenta with Sausage and Artichoke Hearts and Tortellini Soup with Peas and Spinach.
- Meanwhile, stir together apple, cucumbers, scallions, and mayonnaise. In a large skillet, heat chicken, mustard, vinegar, honey, and 1/4 cup water over medium-high, tossing to combine, until warmed through, 3 to 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Divide chicken mixture among buns and top with apple-cucumber slaw.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.