Spread this frosting over the Coconut Cake from Cheryl and Griffith Day of Back in the Day Bakery in Savannah.
The Martha Stewart Show, April 2012
- 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons pure coconut extract
- 2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Whisk together flour, 1/2 cup milk, vanilla, and coconut extract in a small saucepan until combined. Place saucepan over medium heat and gradually whisk in remaining 1 1/2 cups milk. Cook, whisking, until mixture comes to a low boil; reduce heat to low and continue to whisk until mixture thickens and big bubbles form and pop, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a small heatproof bowl. Let cool to room temperature, whisking occasionally as it cools to make smooth.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, mix butter on medium until soft and creamy, 2 to 3 minutes. Gradually add confectioners' sugar; beat on high until light and fluffy, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Gradually add milk mixture. Increase speed to medium-high and whisk until buttercream is light and fluffy, scraping down bottom and sides of bowl as necessary with a rubber spatula. Frosting can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.