Skillet Shrimp and Orzo
Cooking the ingredients in one pan allows the orzo to absorb all the wonderful flavors.
Everyday Food, May 2012
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 35 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups halved grape tomatoes (about 1 pound)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3/4 pound orzo
- 3 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, with rack in top position. In a large broilerproof skillet, heat 5 teaspoons oil over medium. Add garlic and cook until just beginning to brown, 1 minute. Increase heat to high and add tomatoes; season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 6 minutes. Add orzo and broth and bring to a simmer. Cover, transfer to oven, and bake until liquid is mostly absorbed, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Toss shrimp with 1 teaspoon oil and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Remove skillet from oven and place shrimp on top of orzo. Heat broiler. Broil until shrimp are opaque throughout, 4 minutes. Sprinkle with basil and serve.
Look for orzo near the other dried pastas. It's also great in brothy soups or tossed with herbs for an easy side.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.