- 1 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for ramekins
- 1/2 cup finely diced yellow onion
- 3 ounces ham, diced medium (1/2 cup)
- 2 ounces Gruyere, grated (1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Unsalted butter
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Make a well in center of flour mixture; whisk egg yolks and 1/4 cup milk into flour mixture, then gradually add 1 cup milk to form a smooth batter. Let rest at least 30 minutes (or refrigerate in an airtight container overnight).
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Butter six 4-ounce ramekins. In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium. Add onion and cook until translucent, 8 minutes; let cool 10 minutes. Divide onion, ham, and Gruyere among ramekins.
- Whisk egg whites until soft peaks form. Gently fold into batter with a rubber spatula. Spoon over onion mixture and sprinkle with chives. Place ramekins on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until golden and puffed, 18 to 20 minutes. Serve warm.
"Imagine Mom's surprise when she sees these light and fluffy treats on her breakfast tray this Mother's Day! These babies are a snap to put together but feel so extravagant. Pair with fresh fruit and you have a meal fit for a queen but made by the kids! Even your littlest helpers will enjoy watching them puff as they bake."