Open-Faced Roasted Tomato and Olive Tapenade Melt
Try this sophisticated spin on the classic grilled cheese, served with roasted tomatoes for extra flavor.
Photography: Rob Tannenbaum
The Martha Stewart Show, April 2012
- 2 small tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 slices multigrain bread
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pitted green olives
- Zest of 1/2 lemon plus 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 ultrathin slices Colby Jack cheese
- 2 ultrathin slices mild cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place tomato slices on a baking sheet; drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to oven and roast until shriveled and dried, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Preheat broiler with rack set 4 inches from heat.
- Lightly brush both sides of bread with olive oil and place on a baking sheet. Place under broiler and toast, turning once, about 1 minute per side.
- In a small bowl, mix together olives and lemon zest and juice; season with salt and pepper. Divide olive mixture between each piece of toast and spread evenly. Top each with tomato slices and 1 slice of each cheese; transfer to broiler and broil until cheese is melted, about 2 minutes.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.