Hamburger Cupcakes with Pound Cake Fries
Have fun with favorite baked goods by assembling them together to make sweet faux hamburgers with this recipe from Nicki Puza.
Photography: Rob Tannenbaum
The Martha Stewart Show, April 2012
- 24 Yellow Butter Cupcakes
- 2 recipes Brownies, cut into 24 (2-inch) circles
- Basic Vanilla Buttercream
- Green, yellow, red, and blue liquid food coloring
- White nonpareils
- Homemade or store-bought pound cake
- Remove cupcake liners (if necessary) and cut each cupcake in half horizontally; place a brownie on the bottom half of each cupcake. Set top halves aside.
- Divide buttercream evenly between three bowls. To one bowl, add 1/4 teaspoon green food coloring and 2 drops yellow food coloring; mix well to combine. To the second bowl, add 1/2 teaspoon yellow food coloring and 1 drop red food coloring; mix well to combine. To the third bowl, add 1 teaspoon red food coloring and 1 drop blue food coloring; mix well to combine.
- Transfer each colored buttercream to a resealable plastic bag. Snip a 1/4-inch opening from one bottom corner of each plastic bag. Using the yellow buttercream, pipe a large hollow square on each brownie. Using the red buttercream, pipe a circle in the center of the square. Top with a squiggle of the green buttercream over the red circle.
- Brush reserved top halves of cupcakes lightly with water. Sprinkle with nonpareils, pressing to adhere. Top frosted brownies with cupcake tops to create cupcake burgers.
- Preheat broiler.
- Using a crinkle-cut knife, slice pound cake into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Cut each slice into a 1/2-inch-thick strip. Place pound cake strips on a baking sheet and transfer to broiler. Broil until golden and toasted, 30 seconds. Drizzle pound cake fries with red buttercream and serve with hamburger cupcakes.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.