King Ranch Chicken Tostadas
“I grew up on King Ranch casserole -- a hearty mix of chicken, tortillas, and spicy tomatoes in a creamy sauce. This version of the Texas classic has the same flavors but is much lighter.” -- Heather Meldrom, Food Editor
Everyday Food, May 2012
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 20 minutes
- Serves 4
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 10 ounces mushrooms, such as button or cremini, trimmed and sliced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chiles, such as Ro-Tel, drained
- 8 tostada shells
- 3 cups diced or shredded cooked chicken (about 3/4 pound)
- Shredded romaine lettuce, shredded Monterey Jack or crumbled Cotija cheese, and sour cream, for serving
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion and cook 4 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened and mushrooms are golden brown, about 6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add tomatoes with chiles and cook, stirring, until warmed through, about 2 minutes.
- Spread tomato mixture on tostada shells. Top with chicken, lettuce, cheese, and sour cream.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.