Coconut Macaroon Tartlets
Try these chocolate-filled bite-size wonders, which make clever use of shredded coconut to form the crust, for a delicious, unique Passover dessert. This recipe was adapted from "Martha Stewart's Pies and Tarts."
Photography: Rob Tannenbaum
The Martha Stewart Show, April 2012
For the Crust
- 1 1/2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup sugar
For the Ganache
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup bittersweet chocolate (60 percent cacao), finely chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the Topping
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup toasted shaved coconut, for garnish
- Make the crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine coconut, egg whites, and sugar until mixture holds together when squeezed.
- Form 1 heaping tablespoon coconut mixture into a ball. Press ball into a 2-inch brioche or tartlet tin (or mini muffin cup), making a thumbprint in the center and pressing out so mixture forms a 1/4-inch-thick crust. Repeat with remaining coconut mixture. Place tins on rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake crusts until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Set crusts aside until cool enough to handle. Unmold crusts onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make the ganache: Place both chocolates in a heatproof bowl; set aside. In a small saucepan, combine cream, honey, and salt; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Pour cream mixture over chocolate and let stand until chocolate is melted, about 5 minutes. Whisk to make smooth.
- Strain chocolate mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a medium bowl; stir in vanilla extract. Pour ganache into baked tartlet shells, spreading with a spatula to make smooth.
- Make the topping: Pour cream into a chilled mixing bowl. Scrape vanilla seeds into cream; reserve pod for another use. Whisk until soft peaks form. Top ganache with whipped cream; top with toasted shaved coconut and serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.