Golden Sheet Cakes
You can use either this golden cake or chocolate cake for our fanciful menagerie of creations. The important thing to remember is that you will need to make one recipe (which yields two sheet cakes) for each animal.
Photography: Johnny Miller
Martha Stewart Living, May 2012
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour 50 minutes
Yield Makes two 9-by-13-inch cakes
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pans
- 4 cups cake flour (not self-rising), sifted, plus more for pans
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter two 9-by-13-inch baking pans. Line with parchment, leaving an overhang on long sides. Butter parchment. Flour pans, tapping out excess.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Beat together butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add vanilla, then beat in eggs, 1 at a time.
- Beat flour mixture into butter mixture in 3 additions, alternating with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Scrape bottom of bowl, and mix until smooth. Divide batter between pans.
- Bake, rotating halfway through, until tops of cakes spring back when pressed and a toothpick comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool completely, then lift cakes from pans using parchment. Remove parchment.
Cakes can be wrapped in plastic wrap and kept at room temperature 1 day or refrigerated 2 days.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.