Chocolate Chunk Brownies
Up the festivity quotient by serving these brownies in clear drinking glasses and topping them with whipped cream, neon sanding sugar (layercakeshop.com), and gum-paste numbers (signesugar.com) that spell out the year. To make sundaes, serve with ice cream.
Martha Stewart Living, May 2012
- Prep Time 25 minutes
- Total Time 3 hours 10 minutes
Yield Makes 48 brownies
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, plus more for pan
- 1 pound 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate (left whole), plus 3/4 pound bittersweet chocolate, cut into small chunks (2 1/2 cups)
- 4 1/2 cups sugar
- 9 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 12-by-17-by-1-inch rimmed baking sheet and line with parchment, leaving an overhang folded over edges. Butter parchment. Melt butter and uncut chocolate in a large bowl set over a pot of simmering water. Stir until smooth. Remove from heat.
- Whisk in sugar, then eggs, then cocoa powder and salt. Fold in flour until just combined. Fold in chocolate chunks.
- Pour batter into pan. Bake, rotating halfway through, until a toothpick inserted into center comes out with very moist crumbs, 45 to 48 minutes. Let cool completely, about 2 hours. Remove from pan and cut into 2-inch squares.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.