Eggplant and Peppers with Feta
Grilled eggplant adds a smoky flavor to this hearty appetizer from Emeril Lagasse's cookbook "Emeril at the Grill."
The Martha Stewart Show, March 2012
- 2 large eggplants, ends trimmed, sliced into 1/3-inch-thick rounds
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and sliced lengthwise into 8 pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded, and sliced lengthwise into 8 pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and sliced lengthwise into 8 pieces
- Olive oil, for brushing vegetables
- 1/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled (about 3 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh marjoram, oregano, basil, or a mix of all three
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Place eggplant slices on a wire rack set over a rimmed baking sheet and sprinkle lightly with salt on both sides. Set rack aside until eggplant begins to exude liquid, 15 to 20 minutes. Blot eggplant dry with clean paper towels.
- Preheat grill pan or grill over medium-high heat.
- Transfer eggplant and bell pepper slices to a large baking sheet; brush both sides of all vegetables with olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Working in batches if necessary, place eggplant and peppers on grill and cook, turning occasionally, until softened and nicely charred, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer grilled eggplant to a large platter; top with pepper strips. Garnish with crumbled feta and minced herbs. Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil and lemon juice; serve warm or at room temperature.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.