- 1 leek sheath
- 2 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 chicken carcass, chopped into 4 pieces, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 ribs celery, cut into 1-inch-long pieces
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 4 black peppercorns
- Tie together leek, parsley, thyme, and bay leaves with a piece of kitchen twine; set herbs aside.
- Place chicken carcass in a large stockpot along with onion, celery, tomatoes, tied herbs, and peppercorns. Add enough cold water to cover carcass by 2 inches.
- Bring to a boil and immediately reduce to a simmer over low heat. Cook, skimming top as necessary, 2 hours. Strain and discard solids. Let stock come to room temperature before storing in covered containers.
Stock can be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen for up to 2 months.