Classic Yellow Cake Batter
Raspberry-Cream Layer Cake, Cappuccino-Chocolate Cupcakes, and Chocolate-Vanilla Marble Cakes each use this entire batch of batter. For the Pineapple Buckle, halve the recipe -- leftover batter would deflate if stored.
Everyday Food, April 2012
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 15 minutes
- Yield Makes 8 cups
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs plus 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups cake flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- Bring cold ingredients to room temperature. Butter should be soft enough to hold a thumbprint but still keep its shape. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar on high until light and fluffy, about 6 minutes.
- Beat in 4 eggs plus 2 yolks, one at a time, until combined. Beat in vanilla extract.
- In another large bowl, whisk together cake flour, baking powder, and salt. With mixer on low, add 1/3 the flour mixture to butter mixture, beating to combine.
- Beat in 3/4 cup buttermilk, another 1/3 the flour mixture, another 3/4 cup buttermilk, and remaining flour mixture until just combined. Scrape down bowl as needed.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.