Leeks Vinaigrette with Hard-Cooked Egg
Finely grated egg makes a confetti-like topping for this pretty dish.
Everyday Food, April 2012
- 3 bunches leeks (about 8; white and light-green parts only)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 hard-cooked large egg
- Set a steamer basket in a saucepan with 2 inches simmering water. Halve leeks lengthwise and rinse thoroughly. Add to basket, cover, and steam until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer leeks to a serving platter.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, heat olive oil over medium. Add shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, about 4 minutes. Add vinegar and sugar; cook 1 minute. Stir in mustard and season with salt and pepper; cook 1 minute. Spoon vinaigrette over leeks. Using the small holes of a box grater, grate egg over leeks. Serve warm or at room temperature.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.