Cheesy Pasta Primavera
On your next Italian night, upgrade the pasta -- whole wheat adds extra fiber without extra effort. Pair it with veggies and a creamy sauce for a dinner kids will devour.
Photography: Romulo Yanes
Everyday Food, April 2012
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 12 ounces whole-wheat fusilli or other short twisted pasta
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, diced medium
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 zucchini or yellow squash, cut into 1/4-inch half-moons
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions. Reserve 1 cup pasta water; drain pasta.
- In pot, melt butter over medium-high. Add onion and cook until translucent, 6 minutes. Add flour and whisk to combine. Whisk in milk and cook, whisking frequently, until simmering and thickened, 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add zucchini and cook until crisp-tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in pasta, tomatoes, Parmesan, and basil, adding enough pasta water to create a thin sauce that coats pasta. Serve with more Parmesan, if desired.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.