- All-purpose flour, for rolling
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- Ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, with racks in upper and lower thirds. Lightly flour a work surface and rolling pin; roll out puff pastry to a 10-by-18-inch rectangle. Brush with 1 tablespoon butter, sprinkle with 3 tablespoons Parmesan, and season with pepper. Gently roll over dough to adhere. Flip dough and repeat with more butter, cheese, and pepper.
- Cut dough in half lengthwise, then cut each piece into 1/2-inch-wide strips. Arrange in a single layer on two parchment-lined baking sheets and bake until pastry is golden and puffed, about 7 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Let cool completely.
Try red-pepper flakes or Manchego cheese in place of the black pepper and Parmesan. For a sweet take, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.