- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 salmon fillet (2 to 3 pounds), skin on
- Chopped fresh parsley leaves, for serving
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Place butter on a rimmed baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. Place sheet in oven until butter melts, about 1 minute.
- Carefully remove sheet from oven and place salmon on top of butter, skin side down; season with salt and pepper. Return sheet to oven.
- Roast until salmon is just cooked through, 8 to 12 minutes, checking frequently. It will flake easily when done. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
How-To Tips: Roast Salmon
Heat the Sheet
Watch the butter in the oven: It will bubble for a few seconds, but when the foam subsides, carefully remove the sheet. Tip it to coat the bottom, then add the salmon.
Checking the Fish
Insert a paring knife between the layers of flesh to check for doneness: Salmon is dark pink or orange inside when raw, even though the outside might be opaque.
Knowing It's Done
Perfectly cooked salmon separates into big, soft flakes and has some bright pink in the center. It will continue to cook a little more out of the oven.