Spaghetti with Garlic Three Ways
This simple pasta dish has tons of flavor thanks to a few different preparations of garlic: fried, smashed, and infused in oil.
10th Anniversary Cookbook; Martha Stewart Living Cookbook, 2000
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves: 2 thinly sliced, 2 minced, 2 smashed
- 1/2 cup pasta water or chicken stock
- 1 cup grated Romano cheese, plus more for serving
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- Cook pasta in salted boiling water and drain. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sliced garlic. Cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes, and remove from the skillet.
- Add minced garlic and cook until fragrant but doesn't color, about 30 seconds. Add the spaghetti and liquid to the skillet and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat and toss in the cheese, black pepper, browned sliced garlic, and smashed garlic. Serve with additional grated cheese.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.