Brisket with Dried Fruits
Photography: EARL CARTER
Martha Stewart Living, April 2005
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 pounds beef brisket
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole peeled plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped, with juice
- 2 3/4 cups homemade or low-sodium store-bought beef stock
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 bag (14 1/2 ounces) prepared sauerkraut, drained
- 1 cup pitted prunes
- 1 cup dried Black Mission figs
- 1 cup dried apricots
- 1 cup pitted dates
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat oil in a large roasting pan over high heat. Season beef with salt and pepper. Brown beef in pan all over, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter. Add onions and garlic to pan; reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring, until onions just turn golden, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and juice, the stock, and vinegar; bring to a boil.
- Return meat to pan; cover with foil. Cook in oven until fork-tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Turn meat; add sauerkraut and dried fruits. Cover; cook until meat is very tender and sauce is reduced, about 1 1/2 hours. Let stand 30 minutes. Slice meat against the grain. Serve with sauce.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.