Salt and Pepper Crusted Rack of Lamb with Blood Orange and Cherry Chimichuri
Prepare the perfect dinner-party menu featuring this impressive lamb recipe that is seared first, then finished in the oven. Serve with Cauliflower and Leek Gratin and Wilted Mustard Greens.
Photography: DAVID M. RUSSELL
The Martha Stewart Show, February 2012
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (1 1/4-pound) racks of lamb, trimmed and Frenched
- Blood Orange and Cherry Chimichurri
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Using a mortar and pestle or a spice grinder, coarsely grind peppercorns, salt, and red-pepper flakes together until peppercorns are broken but not completely ground.
- Brush a griddle with olive oil (or place oil in a large skillet) and heat over medium-high heat. Season lamb all over with pepper mixture. Place lamb on griddle, meat-side down, and sear to create a golden-brown crust; turn and repeat process on opposite side, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer lamb to a baking sheet.
- Transfer baking sheet to oven and cook until internal temperature reaches 122 to 125 degrees on an instant-read thermometer, 12 to 15 minutes, for medium rare. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing and serving with chimichurri.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.